Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Chinese New Year: The Year of the Dragon, 2012

Our Chinese New Year's celebration this year was very simple and economical.
 We completed little lapbooks about Chinese New Year's...

 and put up our dragon friend (after all, it is his year!)...
 and ate a Chinese dinner.
 Take-out makes this meal easy.
 After dinner we painted some hanging lanterns that we found in the wedding section of the dollar store.




With the addition of batteries, they light up, and were quite beautiful hanging from the ceiling.
 They opened their simple red envelopes...
and found a new dollar coin.
Happy Chinese New Year 2012!

Want to See Our Past Chinese New Year's Celebrations:
Felt Fortune Cookies (2010 The Year of the Tiger)
Chinese New Year (2008) (The Year of the Rat)

10 comments:

  1. The lanterns are great! It looks like a wonderful night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those lanterns are AMAZING!!! Ugh...I wish I would have had school teachers like you growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Forgot to mention that my Korean neighbor came to tell me the year of the black dragon is a very good year to have a baby in. Much luck in all areas of the child's life. I just grinned, but she was very adamant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tradition to celebrate Chinese New Year. I love your lantern craft too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the lanterns!

    We also got Chinese take out tonight for dinner. It was a pretty big deal for us because we've never gotten Chinese food before with the girls...David does not like it very much, so we've not gotten it in MANY years. The girls really enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun! I love the lantern painting.
    Blessings,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a great celebration. I love how you celebrate all of these little days. Maybe at some point I'll add in things like that..........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great celebration! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I LOVE this. We did some Chinese New Year's things yesterday too. I love the idea of the lanterns. Wonder if I could find some of those cheap? We grabbed the Simple Schooling "Chinese New Year" study for 99­¢. It has a lot of these things in it. Love the red envelopes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's kind of fun coming back and reading the comments I left before......

    I need to check out the dollar store wedding section now. I also saw a great craft to make a solar system using those globes.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.