Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

30 Days of Gratitude, 22-30

22. Although I do like a simple, old-fashioned lifestyle, there are a few things about living in this period that I am grateful for...like those skilled in medicine. Sometimes I think about how Steven's accident would have affected our lives if he had not had access to skilled doctors. Or, how Sam's arm would be now. Or how Sam and Katie's epilepsy would affect their lives if they did not have the medicine they need.
23. I also appreciate things like plumbing. Nothing like a hot bath whenever you want it or the absence of chamberpots to make one grateful.
24. Electricity. Sometimes I even resent it, but in general it makes our lives so much easier and connects people all over the world.
25. The ability to travel. Although I don't do it much, I do like to travel and it is a wonderful thing to be able to do.
26.The freedom to go where I want, be with who I want and do what I want. Freedom.
27. The senses...the ability to see colors, hear music, touch soft baby skin, smell roses, taste chocolate.
28. During this time of uncertain financial conditions, that Steven has a job that  provides for us a home, warmth, food and all the necessities.
29. Craftsmanship...the wonderful blend of talent and diligence.
30. "For He so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son."

3 comments:

  1. I agree modern plumbing and a hot bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've obviously been studying the Revolution as can be guessed by the first several 'gratitudes.'

    Medicine is incredible I know of two different little boys one born three years ago and one born a month ago who seemed to be born healthy but had 'bad' hearts who would have died of a like of diagnosis or the skill to treat it and the notation that would have been put down is the mysterious phrase "failure to thrive."

    I often wonder how things that are diagnosed frequently today and are obnoxiious to deal with and are a chronic concern for the sufferer (such as gluten intolerance or lactose intolerance or some particular allergy) would have been a mystery in the past and the person would have been written off as sickly or dyspeptic? We are incredibly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list Phyllis :) I also like things simple!
    You do make a good point, though: modern medicine, plumbing, and electricity make life better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.