Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Snapshot Summary July 3-9; Steven's Accident Edition

He's home!
Our whole world got turned upside down on Sunday night. Steven went on the trampoline with our youngest two boys. It is not something he normally does, but he was feeling sorry for them because we had spent most of the weekend taking care of things we needed to take care of for our move to Tennessee. On the trampoline, our youngest collided with Steven's leg and it broke in several pieces. He was taken by ambulance to the local hospital and then transferred to Baltimore Shock-Trauma Center (2+ hours from our house) where they attempted to do surgery on his leg right below his knee. The swelling, however, was so severe they could not complete the surgery. The surgery will have to be done in a couple of weeks once the swelling is reduced.

The surgeon said that the break is so severe that it is one typically seen in a motorcycle accident or similar high impact accident. We were initially worried that if the swelling didn't go down,  they would have complete another surgery on his leg to reduce the pressure on the muscles. This would leave a gap in the skin and he would have to stay in the hospital to keep it sterile.  If the swelling didn't go down at that point, he would have to stay in the hospital and get skin grafting. We were blessed that this worse case scenario did not come to pass. By Wednesday, we had hoped that he would be able to come home, but a reaction to the pain medication delayed his arrival home.  Meanwhile, here at home, good friends (here in Maryland) offered rides and help and gave us things we needed for our comfort. They gave of their time and effort, bringing us an air conditioner, helping us move the king bed downstairs and bringing us groceries, since I cannot drive. He finally came home Thursday evening and we were all so glad to see him. There was nothing more beautiful than seeing him again!

Despite all of that had happened, while Steven was in the hospital, we have tried to have a fun week, to distract them from all that has been going on with their daddy. We celebrated our nation's birthday with...
Red, White and Blue Pancakes
which didn't make to the table without a bite out of them!
Patriotic (Mummy) Dogs
Red, White and Blue drinks

I had planned lots of games, but somehow we couldn't do them after the accident.
 Quentin and Katie did set up a ring toss game with 2 liter bottles and they played that awhile.
 Then I got out bubble wands...
 and the colors were just magical.
 They cooled themselves off with the 2 liters of water.
 Flag Rice Krispies
Then Sparklers once it got dark.
and a patriotic cake!
Since then, we have passed the time waiting for Daddy to come home by playing games, creating things...

 ...pretending, completing the never-ending chores of family life and being as supportive as we can to each other.



We received a postcard from Japan! I will post more about this when we make a page for our Postcard-Geography album about it.
I expect that I won't be blogging very much in these next few weeks, but I thank everyone for their healing thoughts and prayers for Steven and all of us. You all have been wonderful support.
The beautiful side of difficult times is to witness how willing good people like you are to outpour your kindness and love. Even through our worry and difficulties, we are truly blessed.

19 comments:

  1. I'm glad he's home. Even with a long road ahead, it has to be better to be home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear he is home....will keep your family in our thoughts over the next few weeks as you continue to make progress and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the red, white, and blue drink idea~ fun!

    I am so sorry to hear about your husband! This is my first time here... but, I am amazed that his leg broke in the first place... Does he have other medical conditions to warrant that? Wow!

    Praying for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is your youngest made out of steel? That is crazy that a collision with a child would cause such damage. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH, I'm so glad he is home safe. I hope the surgery goes smoothly!! Trampolines are so hard... I desperately want to get on them and play, but my daughter had her leg broken the same way when she was 4. Since then, I've had a hard time letting anyone play on them.
    Sending healing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - what a freakish accident!! I was imagining something happening when you were moving something heavy...

    I am glad the worst case scenario didn't happen and pray that the surgery will go well when it happens.

    Is it me or are those boys of yours shooting up!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I do hope all goes well and he gets to come home soon. What a crazy accident.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad he's home! I'm impressed you still got a lot done while he was in the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such "Wonderful News" seeing Steven was able to come home!!!! Sending thoughts & prayers for a speedy recovery!! Are you still planning on moving or will this put a hold on that?
    Best Wishes,
    Donna
    http://homeschoolingsunnyflorida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. My friend, you are such the picture of beauty through tough times. And y'all just rallied and made a good week of it. So grateful for your friends that cared and continue to care for you and Steven. Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praise the Lord that he's home! Will continue to pray for you, your husband, and your family. I know God will provide your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness! I came to read your sweet blog and I see all of this! I cannot believe he is hurt so badly! Poor daddy person. :( Please keep us all updated on him.

    Your moving? I missed this somehow. You will be much closer to me. :)

    I think you all did very well keeping busy while he was away and being treated. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I'm sorry! Worrying is a difficult part, no matter who is doing it!! :(

    I'm glad to hear he's home!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad Steven is home. You and your family have just been in my thoughts so often the last few days. I can not believe he got such a horrible break from that.

    But look at your week!! Through all the worry and fear you managed to give your sweet kids a wonderful week. I love all the 4th of July celebrations. I know your children are going to have the most wonderful childhood memories. They are so blessed to have you as a Mommy. Take care of that husband and he will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry to hear about Steven's leg. :(

    The rest of your activities look like great fun, though!!! :)

    Thanks for sharing!!

    RockerMom @ The Linton Academy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the update...you all are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope things continue to improve...
    loved your leaving proof photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sure it's wonderful to have him home again. I hope he is recovering well and that you are getting some rest too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh! That break looks so painful! So glad that you were able to muster the energy to have a special holiday with your kids. I know these kinds of things are exhausting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.