Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Pastels: Bubbles

Bubbles just say "summer" to me. I can't help but smile when I see them floating in the air.
To celebrate the beginning of summer, we decided to make bubble pictures with pastels. 
Using this tutorial, we set to work drawing those iridescent orbs.

First you begin with the background, light of course. The tutorial will tell you how to "fist in" the colors.

Don't forget to have wipes ready for those hands!

Quentin was interested in experimenting with perspective, putting a house in the background and the large bubbles in the foreground.

These are my bubbles, and I concentrated on trying to make them look three-dimensional by curving my lines.

Katie's focus was on the many colors you can see in bubbles.
That is one of the reasons I like following these pastel tutorials. They help us to really look at the thing we are drawing, sometimes seeing aspects we have never noticed before. Sometimes I have noticed certain aspects before but never knew how to go about drawing them and the tutorials show me how.

I love James' bold colors.

My happy artists.

Now it is time for us to go blow some more bubbles.
Don't you want to join us?


If you would like to blow some giant bubbles, here is a tutorial for how to make a Giant Bubble Wand.

A fun painting project with bubbles can be found here.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely love each and every interpretation of the bubbles pastel tutorial! What a wonderful idea to celebrate summer with bubbles. Beautiful, beautiful art!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the kids had their bubbles out the other day, I couldn't help but stand and stare, as they floated by - they are so beautiful. This is a fantastic summer art idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree..bubbles are so summer! I love all your bubble pictures and that picture of the bubbles close up is beautiful! We made the huge bubble maker last year and had a blast.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so beautiful! I love using pastels and they are perfect medium for capturing the iridescent quality of bubbles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.