Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales
painting by Katie Bergenholtz

Experimenting with Dying Eggs

After I read this fascinating post about dying Easter eggs with Kool-Aid, I knew I had to try it. To make it even more scientific and interesting, we decided to dye half with Kool-Aid bath and half with regular food coloring. My kids have always hated the smell of vinegar so much they have not been wanting to dye eggs. I noticed in the responses to the post on Kool-Aid dye that the Kool-Aid works without vinegar because it has citric acid in it. I happen to have citric acid on hand as one of the ingredients of homemade cleansers, so I used a tablespoon of citric acid in place of the vinegar this year. No vinegar smell!


The results of our experimenting? Kool-Aid made a darker, deeper color than regular food coloring (and had a very pleasant smell.) The red and orange is from the Kool Aid (strawberry and orange flavors) and the blues and greens are with liquid food coloring and citric acid.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you turned this into an experiment! What a great idea.

    I found that if i cleaned the egg surface with vinegar, I had less trouble with surface imperfections. Maybe something to think about for next year!

    Thank you for introducing me to this blog. I didn't realize you were doing this too! how DO you do it! Two very active blogs and "extreme" homeschooling!
    And I can't even keep up with my blog reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great to add science to egg dying. My kids would love to see which would work better. I will have to try the Kool Aid.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.