Home School Life Journal

Home School Life Journal ........... painting by Katie Bergenholtz
"Let us strive to make each moment beautiful."
Saint Francis DeSales

Electromagnets and Motors (Making an Electromagnet)




If you take a nail and wrap a wire around it many times (at least 25),
and then attach the ends of the wire to a battery (you will need a 6 volt), the nail will turn into a magnet...an electromagnet to be precise. This is such a simple and yet very fun science exploration to do.
For more fun with electromagnets, click here.
























You can demonstrate how a one magnet can turn another and this motion can turn a motor. Inside a motor the magnets turn like this many times a second.

More about electricity and magnetism at Layers of Learning.

4 comments:

  1. Nice!!
    I bought some copper wire a while back for turning magnets into motors - haven't yet, a little... uh... leery - not about the experiment, but about my competence!!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I could turn a magnet into a motor either! I leave all the electricity work to Steven. I even stop watches, so I think none of the experiments would turn out if I did them!
    -Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! We did this as well! :) My kids just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your post which was really good waiting for next post
    ELECTROMAGNET

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. It means so much.